We are over halfway done with our radiation protocol now.
Brae definitely does not fit the information they give you on how radiation will affect you. Actually he doesn't fit the rules on how any of this is suppose to affect him. Which is wonderful. One my absolute favorite stories was when we were leaving the ICU monitoring area and one of the nurses told Brae he was a lucky boy this was after the Austin incident. Brae looked at her like she had three heads and says "I am not lucky Jesus loves me" just as plain and clear and I just smiled. I loved it.
He is loving this soccer thing. I am so thankful for it. I have prayed for something that would build his self esteem which is low and that he would enjoy. We have tried things but either his sister was with him and did more than he did or he felt he couldn't keep up or he just plain didn't want to do it. Soccer he told me he was born to do. He actually volunteered to run extra laps. Those that don't know him well won't think this is a big thing but as his mother I know how huge that is.
He played over 3 hours of soccer on Saturday. His energy was boundless.
He still has his struggles of course and the radiation protocol is no picnic for him but his attitude just keeps things going. Everyone always brags at how well I deal with everything. But it isn't me one thing we have said since he was 3 was all that was keeping us together was God Glue, the other thing is his attitude it is a blessing beyond belief. One of the things we struggle with are mornings. Mornings aren't his favorite anyway and add in medications and side effects of radiation and they can be pretty hard. Sometimes it may take him 3 or 4 hours to be able to even get around. It takes me holding him and really talking to him so he doesn't have a melt down some mornings.
I will be calling today to set up and confirm our future appointments with Memphis and Austin. Try to get our schedules all planned out and what is needed for what appointment all that kind of thing.
I feel good about the way this protocol has gone I feel blessed by his lack of side effects and as always I am so blessed by his general attitude.
Monday, February 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Braden is an amazing young man. I want to meet him next time he is at church.
Post a Comment